Dear Ward 24 Residents
In July 2018, Toronto City Council heard and adopted a motion I put forward for the seizure and destruction of illegal guns. It was found that seized illegal weapons often make way back onto city streets, which should not be occurring.
As a result, requests to the Toronto Police Service (TPS) Board, the Ontario Provincial Police and the Province of Ontario were made to adopt and implement the necessary measures for an elimination procedure of illegal guns and ammunition confiscated by law enforcement agencies.
It was also adopted that the City Manager would report back to City Council during the first quarter of 2019 on the implementation of this seize and destroy procedure. More on this motion can be found here.
At this week’s Executive Committee meeting, the motion for City Powers to Regulate Firearms and Ammunition and Update on Related Initiatives was adopted without amendments.
This item recommends a number of requests to the Government of Canada to:
- Ban the sale of handguns in the City of Toronto
- Implement a tougher screening for mental health and intimate partner violence issues for licensed gun owners and those seeking to acquire firearms permits
- Control handguns coming into Canada along the American and Canadian border
- Include tougher penalties including mandatory-minimum sentences for gun traffickers
With requests made to the Government of Ontario to:
- Ban the sale of handgun ammunition in the City of Toronto
- Legislate a suspension of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission liquor license for establishments where the TPS has evidence of multiple gun-related offences on the premises
More information on this motion can be accessed here.
I feel strongly on the matter of protecting Toronto’s communities and find that this is a good vehicle to stronger voice that guns are not welcome in the City of Toronto.
This item is to be heard for final approval at the June 18th, 2019 meeting of City Council.
All my Best